Lovamahapaya - Anuradapura

Lovamahapaya was an ancient building located between Ruvanveliseya and Sri Mahabodiya in the ancient city of Anuradhapura, Sri Lanka.  It is also known as the Brazen Palace or Lohaprasadaya because the roof was covered with bronze tiles.
In ancient times the building included the refectory and the uposathagara. As the roof was covered with tiles made of bronze, this was known as the Brazen Palace or Lohaprasadaya. There are 40 rows, each row consists of 40 stone pillars and a total of 1600 stone pillars were used for the building. The building was completely destroyed by a fire during the reign of King Saddhatissa.

In 150 BC, Great King Dutugemunu built this beautiful nine-storey building as the monk’s residence for the Mahaviharaya Buddhist University.

Each floor had apartments. First floor was for the student monks. Second floor was for the monks who knew Tripitakaya. 3rd, 4th and 5th floors were for the monks who had achieved Sovan, Sakurdagami and Anagami states. Top four floors were for the monks who had reached the state of Arahath. Altogether Lova Maha Paya accommodated over 3000 monks at any given time.

The stone pillars that we can see today are created in Polonnaruwa era by King Parakramabahu.

No comments:

Post a Comment